The original Custom Z was born of Yamaha’s long and close partnership with legendary trumpet player Bobby Shew. In 2018, Yamaha and Bobby collaborated to create a second-generation YTR-8310Z that further refines the brilliant tone and well-balanced playing resistance that contemporary styles demand. Bobby needed one versatile, efficient instrument that can wail out powerful lead lines and also play soft, mellow ballads with the musical nuance that Bobby is known for. Yamaha has developed the new Custom Z to satisfy all of Bobby’s playing requirements while retaining the highest level of precision and consistency.
In order to produce the powerful, well-defined tone that today’s jazz players demand, the conventional one-piece valve casing has been replaced with a two-piece design. This refinement adds depth and core to the instrument’s tone while also balancing the playing resistance.
- A one-piece yellow-brass bell plays an important role in achieving a brilliant tone and outstanding projection. The bell also features a side seam that passes through the points where tubing braces dampen vibration, for more open resonance.
- Unlike traditional methods that produce a round bell rim, the more advanced French bead technique results in a flat-dome rim shape that enhances feedback to the performer.
- One piece, Yellow brass bell
- 127mm (5″) bell diameter
- Step bore 11.3mm (0.445″)
- Gold Lacquer or Silver Plate